Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Packing


Dilemma:
How to fit enough clothes for 4 people for 2 weeks into 3 bags 40 pounds or lighter, plus add in a mini-pharmacy, daycare, and toy store.

Solution:
Still working on it.

As our final days come upon me, I find myself struggling with the age old problem of packing. Not only does it require so much work to prepare for it - laundry, shopping, lists, etc. - but it also requires super human strength of will as I decide what I can't possibly go half way around the world without, and what I can sacrifice and leave behind. Throw in all the unknowns of Emmett, and it is a pretty daunting task.

But perhaps my biggest complaint is that while I have been working on packing for DAYS, Eric will come home, throw some things in the bag for himself and be done in about 15 minutes. So, unfair! This is one of those division of labors that I am pretty sure I got the short stick. But, it has to be this way. What women/mother in her right mind would leave such a sacred responsibility to a man? Not this one and not any one I know!

I am sure he would not roll the shirts together tight enough to prevent wrinkles and maximize space. I know he would forget the essentials like make-up and hair straightener. And let's not even imagine the nightmare of opening the suitcases and discovering that there is only 1 toothbrush for 4 people!

So, alas, you see my point. The burden must rest solely on my capable shoulders.

So, off I go back to the packing slave pits, mumbling under my breath and basking in my own self-depricating, OCD glory...

(Note from author: This was meant to be a humorous rant on my own foibles and not a man-hating/girls-are-better-than-boys rampage. Hope you got that.)

5 comments:

  1. Ira - I grew up with the Sharps in Conway...those are by far the coolest suitcases I've ever seen! Where did you get them??

    ReplyDelete
  2. *I* was chuckling--*I* got it!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't envy you with your packing dilemma! I know you will conquer it! You are so awesome! We are all counting down for you!!! Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynne,
    HI. Eric told me about you! The suitcases are from TJ MAxx. They are super cute, but not the sturdiest, so I'm not expecting them to last long. I just wanted something that was light weight and fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ira, I love the suitcases! Have a wonderful time! I can't wait to hear everything. Do you think you'll have a chance for any facebook updates? ;)

    By the way, girls are better at doing the things you mentioned- it's a natural fact. (spoken as a mom with 3 boys!)

    ReplyDelete