Sunday, September 16, 2012

Off the Beaten Path

Last time we were in Beijing we had a tour guide who took us around to all the great historic and interesting places - The Great Wall, The Forbidden City, Tienanmen Square, etc.  They were all amazing and fabulous!

This time we were on our own in Beijing.  And we only had one day to explore.  So, we decided to walk down to the REAL Beijing.  The place where real people live real life.  It was soooo worth it!  Check out some of the pics:

Some men playing a game on the street corner - check out that famous Asian squat!
Market down a crowded little alley




These buns looked so good and it was amazing watching the guy roll/knead the HUGEST ball of dough I have ever seen!!!








Other fun things we discovered today:
A high school track

I can't believe she touched that thing AND put it up to her ear!  Yuk!

Life saving mask to be used in case of a fire - there was one in our room, but we had 3 people.  Good thing there was no fire, I would have felt bad leaving Eric and Hannah behind...

And....The big highlight of the day occurred when we stumbled upon a local park.  It first caught our eye because there was a bunch of elderly people exercising on random pieces of equipment.  Hannah called it "the old people playground."  We couldn't resist seeing more, so we went into the park.  And soon we came across the table tennis courts filled with people happily playing ping pong.  Eric did a good job of appearing like a poor begging puppy waiting for scraps, so a nice man motioned him over to play.  He was like a kid in a candy store - completely gleeful.

 Even though he got seriously schooled.

 He loved every second. 

It made up for the horrible impending BYU defeat.

5 comments:

  1. So fun! I love the description of Eric begging to play ping pong. Maybe you could turn your backyard into a ping-pong park!

    Now if Eric could just find a country where they have whole parks full of people out playing complicated strategy games about wars and stuff...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One word: Yum...Those char su bao buns (aka pork buns) you posted are so good! I am trying to learn how to make them from Debbie R. I only wish we had tried them while in China! Sean loves them too...I attempted an American version of those buns and they came out way too big. (They did kind of taste like the real ones though lol) :)

      Delete
    2. You are right on, Sandy! That gaming park would be Eric's dream come true:)

      Delete
  2. China is such an interesting place. You will see something unique around every corner. I love that you can share your adventure with us even though you are so far away. I'm thinking of you every minute of every day--seriously! Best of luck in the next few hours. A word of warning: do not eat those yummy-looking buns!

    Much love to all of you, including Hazel. I can't wait to meet her.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mom and Dad, I really like the picture of you guys in China. I miss you. I would like to see pictures of Hazel. I wish I could be in China with you. Good buy I love you

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete